Customize at the exercise level
New home screen
- How many workouts you've done
- How much you've lifted total
- Your strength (last 3 workouts)
- Your volume (last 3 workouts)
And more! In doing so, you can now track your volume, which is a great way to progress your training for size.
Better Training Logs
Custom weight increments
Bodyweight Exercises and Workouts
Choose Your Background Image
Smash New Records: Recover With Easy Workouts
You start lifting weights. A few months later, you’ve gained a fair bit of muscle. You lift heavier weights, and you do more sets. Your workouts start to beat up your body. So, you need more time to recover between workouts than you used to. This is where easy workouts come in.
Now, when you reach level 4 in Dr. Muscle, the app will add easy workouts automatically to your program. These workouts help you recover, and prime you for your next hard workout. That way, you can continue to get stronger and build more muscle, even as you lift heavier weights, do more sets, and need more recovery.
Fine tune your training with reps in reserve
Build muscle faster with this tip from the first US male powerlifter to win gold at the World Games: Reps in Reserve.
There are many ways to apply reps in reserve, and the specifics can get quite complex. To simplify, Dr. Muscle now automates all of this for you. If your sets are easy and you have many reps in reserve, Dr. Muscle will push you harder. If your sets are hard and you have zero reps in reserve, Dr. Muscle won’t increase your weight at all. This proven system has created world champions, and now it’s available to you with just a few taps.
Customize your rep range
We’ve just updated Dr. Muscle to let you choose your rep range, and focus on:
- Building muscle and strength (5-12 reps)
- A mix of building muscle and burning fat (8-15 reps)
- Fat-burning mode (12-20)
- Custom (any range between 5 and 30 reps)
Quick reminder: Low reps are better at increasing strength. High reps burn more fat and are easier on your joints. Ready to choose? You can now, when you update Dr. Muscle.
Build muscle in half the time!
Warm up with Dr. Muscle
Your Program Levels Up Automatically
Now you can do almost the same thing: with this update, your program levels up automatically as you do it. You'll also always know exactly where you stand, with a countdown on your home screen. Every time you level up, you'll do new exercises and hit your muscles from new angles (this helps to hypertrophy them in full).
New Workouts With New Exercises
This update brings more advanced (level 3) workouts that include new exercises. These new exercises will stimulate growth in different regions of your muscles and help to hypertrophy them in full.
This is supported by research from Brazil, in which hypertrophy of the quads (vastus medialis and rectus femoris) was greated for subjects who varied exercises every 3 weeks than for subjects who used the same exercises for 12 weeks (Fonseca et al. 2014).
“Workout now” button on your home screen
Happens to me all the time. You’re ready to train, but you first have to fumble through your workouts, frowning while you remember which one is up today. Big hassle.
This update fixes that with a large easy “Workout now” button on your home screen. Open the app, tap “Workout now”, and today’s workout opens and you’re ready to train. It doesn’t get much easier.
- You'll never do more than 5 sets (down from 6)
- You'll never do fewer than 5 reps (up from 4)
- You'll improve 30-50% when you lift <= 12 kg
30-50% may sound like a lot, but for light weights the actual increase is small. For more info, check out:
New Charts That Show Your Progress
14 new workouts!
New! More advanced deloads
The app now understands in more detail what's going on with your training and cut sets 50% and load 90% when you plateau—it will also let you know when its making these changes and link to an article on our blog that explains everything. Speaking of which:
Deload: How To Break Your Plateau And Start Building Muscle Again
- New video demo
- Customer reviews
And more! Check out our new website for more information about Dr. Muscle.
Between Sets: How Long Should You Rest To Build Muscle Faster?
Check out our new article: Between Sets: How Long Should You Rest To Build Muscle Faster?
- Autostart (when you tap to "Save" a set)
New onboarding, self-test (choose your workout plan), and more!
- New onboarding
- New self-test (choose your workout plan)
- Log in with Facebook
- Improved recommendations for reps
- Improved recommendations for weights
- Weights recommended in 1 kg / 2.5 lbs increments
Workout plans now available inside Dr. Muscle!
- Workouts! Choose from our 6 workout plans (home, gym, 3-day, and 4-day/week)
- Create your own workouts (add exercises from your list and order them as you please)
- User interface: workouts and exercises are now shown separately
- User interface: "My Workouts" and "My Exercises" are now shown separately
Dr. Muscle is free to try. To start your trial, simply:
All the best,
Team Dr. Muscle
3-Point Checklist For Updating Your Muscle Building Workout Plan
But now, your gains have slowed down or stopped. If that's you, consider our new 3-point checklist for updating your muscle building workout plan.
Update To Password Recovery
- Recover your password from inside the app
- Fixed memory a bug that caused the app to crash after prolonged use on Android
Training Reference: 3 Evidence-Based Training Strategies That Help You Build Muscle Faster
- Use “Daily Undulating Periodization” And Change Reps Every Workout To Build Strength And Muscle Faster
- Finish Strong With A “Plus Set” To Find Out How Much Heavier You Should Lift To Keep Building Muscle Fast
Update to exercise list
- Rename exercises
- Delete exercises
- Log out (from new top right menu)
- "OK" buttons are now green
- "Delete" buttons are now red
Version 2.0 now available on Google Play and the App Store
Version 2.0 includes:
- New user interface and bug fixes
- Improved algorithm to compute your next weights, reps, and sets
- Exercise log (you won’t have to enter your sets and reps again)
- New cloud servers (your full workout history saves automatically - you'll never lose your data)
All the best,
Team Dr. Muscle